Born and bred on his parent’s farm in Gisborne, Stephen, who is of Ngati Porou decent, joined AgFirst in 2008 after obtaining a Bachelor of Applied Science majoring in Agriculture and Agribusiness. Over the years Stephen has developed a wide skill set, from feed and financial budgeting to Resource Consent applications and Governance work.
Stephen thrives on seeing his clients achieve their goals and seeing their business excel.
Keeping up to date with new technology is must and being a competent user of FARMAX, Cash Manager and Overseer helps to get the best results possible for clients. Stephen works with a number of Wairoa and East Coast based Maori Incorporations and Trusts along with owner operators and large corporate farms. Core focus includes:
• Farm supervision
• Farm development programmes
• Facilitation of discussion groups and governance groups
• Farm financial analysis
Some of the past projects Stephen has been involved with include:
• Te Taumata – monitor farm project based around seven large Maori owned farms in Wairoa
• Hikuwai Uawa – monitor farm project based around five large Maori owned farms in Tolaga Bay
• Tauwharetoi Station Development project – clearance of 800 ha of scrub back to grassland
• Surfing for Farmers: a stress-relief program for Gisborne Farmers
When not working Stephen enjoys getting outside and can be found at either Ngatapa Rugby club, out diving, fishing or surfing or getting some hands on action at his parent’s farm. Stephen set up a hugely popular initiative in 2018 called ‘Surfing for Farmers’. Farmers from all over the Gisborne region catch up weekly during the summer to take to the waves for a surf, a BBQ and a drink and a chat with other farmers.